Thursday, May 15, 2014

Beautiful Places and Spaces

Five weeks on the road is long for anyone. I’ve done it once before in 2012 when I played on the European Tour and swore there was no way I would ever do it again.  Never say never. I’m currently in my 4th week and am counting down the days until I get to land back in Phoenix land.

Our stint began in Sarasota, FL, moved down to Ft. Myers, FL, flew up to Greenwood, SC, currently in Asheville, NC, and ending in Charlotte, NC.  My first two Florida events were uneventful unfortunately.  I was coming off my first win on the Symetra Tour and had high hopes but realistic expectations. Unfortunately I did not execute as well as I would have liked and finished both tournaments in the top 25.  Playing poorly yet finishing in the top 25 doesn’t feel good in the moment but in the grand scheme of things, it’s all about making money and being in the top 10 on the money list, period. 

Last week was our biggest event in Symetra Tour history.  The winner was awarded $30,000, which is close to double what our normal winning paychecks are.  There was a lot of money to be taken and I unfortunately played like a 20 handicap. I had great intentions, a smart game plan, but there are weeks when it just does not happen for you.  I had Billy fly over from Phoenix to caddy for me.  It was the halfway point in my long trip and I knew it was important for my happiness to see him then.  Poor guy, he saw some ugly golf out of me. I made the cut but didn't make enough putts for it to amount to much.

I drove up the mountain to Asheville this past Monday and have really enjoyed my time this week.  I would recommend this town to anybody. It is such a great vacation spot, very relaxing, a ton of restaurants and things to do.  It is a very free and liberal town so you might see some topless girls walking down the street or some illegal things going on during the daytime but it’s just a great spot. 

The biggest thing I have been lacking in my team is a consistent tour caddy.  I am very picky with who I have on my bag and who helps me along the way.  I believe I have one of the best yardage books and course managements out there but I want someone to be with me week in and week out who can help me succeed.  A tour caddy who is loyal to their player is a huge advantage and is like a 15th club.  They know what to say to their player, when to say it, when to be quiet, when to be vocal, when to give their player food and drink, and above all, makes the player’s life easy. 

I remember when I fired my first caddy after using the fraud for 18 holes.  It took me HOURS to call the stranger and tell him it’s just not working out. Five years later I now know how to wear the pants and call the shots.  A lot of caddies step in and run the show and forget that the player is the boss.  I have had a very few caddies who I have been waiting on to become available.  By the grace of God things worked out for me this past Sunday when I was just beginning to feel a little uneasy about my putting game.  I have hired a caddy from Me-He-Co and is the best green reader in the game! It has been so fun this week in our practice rounds and pro am for him to tell me where to hit the putt and bam, it goes in. He has been in the heat of the battle and has been a friend of mine for a long time.  I am very thankful for the opportunity and I hope to make the most of our time.  My hope is that we work well together during tournament play and that we can have a long-lasting working relationship.

The Friends of Mission Charity Classic begins tomorrow and I am looking forward to playing.  I took Monday and today off so that I can get excited about having a golf club in my hand.  I had quality practice days this week and plan to have quality rounds this weekend.  Asheville will have much cooler temps that I have not felt since Christmas in Oklahoma.  I will definitely be the Arizona girl with my beanie and long johns on.  I might even lose my tan!  I gotta finish strong these next two weekends so I can go home to Phoenix a happy girl.  My new website will be finished very soon and this blog site will soon transfer over to that one.


What I’m Reading: The Fault In Our Stars by John Green 

2 comments:

  1. Wow! It reminds me of my own trip to Paris. I visited there last year and this year we are planning to visit Cuba. But can Americans visit Cuba? Do you know about something about Cuba too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How could I get a copy of your Asheville yardage book? I am heading there with my 100 year old hickory clubs in mid August to play the CCA.

    ReplyDelete