Thursday, March 18, 2010

It's Finally Game Time!

Let me first warn everyone I'm bloggin it up tonight on my iPhone so I apologize if I cut it short. Not sure how long my right thumb is going to last. So here we go!

I'm in Winter Haven, FL with my friends Kendra Hanson (Iowa State alum) and Jessi Gebhardt (Oregon State alum.) We are staying in private housing with this nice couple from the upper northeast. The Bronx I believe? I'm having an extremely hard time understanding what they say or ask me because I can't get the quick accent down. I probably pause for 5 seconds before I respond because half of the time I've got no clue what they just said. I think they're from Boston, not tha Bronx or else I'd be able to handle that!

I got in Tuesday afternoon and had a nice leisurely practice. We did a little grocery shopping and went back to hang with our host family. I bonded by watching and critiquing American Idol with them on their 50" HD tv. It's a beauty.

Yesterday morning was terrible waking up so early, considering Kendra and I are sharing a room and we can't go to bed without laughing and talking about off the wall topics for at least an hour. We had to be at the clubhouse at 815am for a 4 hour Rookie Orientation that lasted until 1:00pm. We had a quick bite to eat then warmed up for our practice round that was delayed because of a morning pro am that ran over. The three of us played with my good friend Lucy Nunn (Arkansas alum) and she was my chauffeur. I probably didn't allow her to focus like she needed to because I tell a lot of random but worthy stories out there on the course. I realized that today, I was probably an awful teammate in college and in high school because I bring up the most random things and probably crude topics during times that we should be focused. I just enjoy a good laugh and think everyone else should join in to my "mind in the gutter" thoughts. Rooming with Kendra this week is not helping the cause. We actually got in 18 holes and had to go to a "Meet the Pros" party back in the clubhouse. I looked great for it because no hats are allowed in the clubhouse. My hair looked stellar! We scarfed down some food and came on back to the house like walking zombies. Great news...we had to be back at the course at 7 this morning for a 7:30am practice round shotgun.

Shoot me! People who know me know how much I love my sleep. I played with the same girls again but this time my caddy was there! Phillip Bryan! He caddied for me in January when we got 2nd in Orlando and I was playing irons that were 2 1/2 degrees off from
what I needed them to be. Terrible ball striking that week I must say...

Phil drove down to Houston on Tuesday night, had a 4 hour nap and played 18 holes with a friend. At 2pm yesterday he hopped in the car and drove until 6:30am today. He caddied for me the 14 holes we played and never complained once! He's going to be here with me through Sunday and drive back to Louisiana for a Nationwide Monday quailifier. I think he enjoys making himself miserable. I'm going to play hard for him this week so I can give him some good $ for being such an awesome guy. Anyone who wants to donate to the fund, I'll let you all know how it can get to him :)

Us girls came back to practice for a few more hours once today's pro am went off and by that time, I was ready to get out of there. We came home and I immediately went to the couch to watch some good basketball. My bracket is holding up for me and I feel good about things.

Phil, Kendra, Kendra's dad, Kirby Dreher (Kent State alum), and myself went to a sports bar to watch more basketball and I found myself chowing down on some wings. I needed some meat! They were fulfilling and the only other exciting news of the night was I squirted a huge amount of nasty lotion up my nose when I tested them out at cvs. I am kind of clumsy at times...

Tomorrow is kind of a big day...it's the first round of the first event of my first year as a Duramed Futures Tour player. I'm
proud to be a member of this Tour because everywhere I look I see my college friends who were standout collegiate golfers and talent I really respect. I feel with every bone in my body that I belong here and that it's a wonderful stepping stone in preparing me on what's to come. Mentally, I know that I'm able to contend with anyone out here, it's just a matter of maintaining that mindset and staying patient. I'm so grateful to be doing what I'm doing and blessed may be a word that's overused but I find it fitting in my situation. I've got some priceless relationships in my life who make me love life and love giving it my all everyday.

Quick shoutout to my mama because it's her birthday today as well as my parents 32nd wedding anniversary. They were married as babies and there's no way I'm wired to do such a crazy thing at such a young age. :) Love them to death and really wish they could be here this week but someone has to use our March Madness tickets so I guess it was them. Just kidding!

You can stay up to date with live scoring on futurestour.com. I'll be teeing off at 2:25pm eastern time. Me and my right thumb are going to bed now. Take care everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment