Thursday, April 8, 2010

Daytona Beach

Goodness gracious, it’s only Wednesday but I feel like I’ve been going nonstop for over a week now. Once I returned home to OKC from Mexico, I was able to get some rest, see some friends, and catch up on all my DVR shows. It felt good to sit there and be bored for once. I spent Saturday playing golf with my dad at the Greens. Poor guy, I think his ego was hurt a bit because I gave him a shot a hole and I think he needed more. He’s going to get new clubs this spring and hopefully some lessons so we can get his game back in gear! That night we headed to Yukon to see my brother and sister-in-laws new bedroom furniture. Those newlyweds are living large! While we were over there, I received a text message from one of my sponsors asking if I was in town and if I wanted to go to the OU-Stanford Women’s Final Four game in San Antonio on Sunday night. I’ve never been to San Antonio, let alone a Final Four basketball game so I said, “yes of course!” I spent Easter Sunday with the family at church and at home for lunch but left that afternoon on my sponsors’ private jet with a group of devout OU fans. It was a short hour flight down, had awesome seats at the Alamodome and unfortunately left with a loss. We still had a wonderful time and made it back in time for me to pack up that night for Daytona Beach for a week.

I flew down to Daytona the next morning and Lucy Nunn, my roommate for the week, picked me up at the airport. She tried to warn me about the place/person we were staying with for the week but I told her I could handle a lot of things; I’m not that high maintenance! We made it to the man’s condo and we both were a little sketchy from the get go. He was a single man who we were not scheduled to be staying with. Everything felt shady so our friends’ private housing family helped us out and found us a new place that felt safer for us with a little more room.

Tuesday morning, Lucy and I woke up and escaped the scary condo and made our way up to Palm Coast, FL to play at Hammock Beach Resort - Ocean Course. I’m a Golf Digest course rater so I’m able to rate some pretty nice courses. We had a good time even though I played poorly. I’d like to blame it on the ocean views for distracting me…but that wasn’t the case. We had to hurry back to LPGA Int’l to teach a junior clinic but we hurried back for nothing…only two kids showed. We left the course and made it to the Welcome Cocktail party at the Kennel Club to eat some food and watch some dogs race. Those guys can run! It was fun and I wanted to bet on some races but I held back and didn’t. Lucy and I (mainly me) were still hungry so we went to Vince Carter’s new restaurant for some desert and to watch the Championship game UCONN-Stanford. It was a fun-filled day but I was excited to go to bed!

Wednesday morning, earrrllly Wednesday morning, we were teed off at 7:30 for a practice round. I was only able to play 6 holes because I was drawn to race around Daytona 500 for some hot laps. I was excited because my friend Mindy Robson is a diehard Nascar fan so I signed up mainly for her. We made it up to 127mph, which may not sound fast, but with those steep turns, you could feel the forces pushing you down in your seat. You look to your left there is grass. You look to your right there is sky. It was a pretty neat experience!
A big group of us went to see The Last Song yesterday afternoon at a theater off the beach. It was a good movie, tearjerker for some but I read the book so I know how it ended. Afterwards we all ate at Ocean Deck for dinner on the beach. Once again, it was a very busy but fun day.

Thankfully I was able to sleep in this morning because the only thing we have scheduled today is a 2pm shotgun practice round. I haven’t seen all 18 holes of the tournament course this week (I played it multiple times for LPGA Final Stage of Q School) so I’ll get used to it today and be ready to tee it up for the first round tomorrow at 2pm.

I’m sure everyone is excited for the Masters and to see how you-know-who is going to play and react to the crowds. He needs to take on Anthony Kim’s personality with the fans but I just don’t think he has it in him. If anyone is interested in keeping up with the Daytona Beach Invitational you can follow live scoring on www.futurestour.com. Have a great weekend everybody!

What I’m Reading: The Help by Kathryn Stockett
What I’m Listening to: Usher Raymond vs. Raymond

No comments:

Post a Comment