Thursday, May 13, 2010

Kansas City Blues

PRAISE AND THANK GOD is all I have to say. The past 8 hours have been hell! My 12-year-old puppy Yorkie Penny had been missing but she’s been found!!! My mom’s friend let her out at lunch and was eating in our kitchen as Penny was barking at her for food as she always does and the next thing she knew, she was gone! The back door was opened so Penny could go in and out to play. My mom’s friend couldn’t find her anywhere and so she left and went back to work. Our neighbor checked on her a few hours later, with the dog nowhere to be found! I found out around 5pm that my dog was lost so I tried to remain as calm as possible. My mom and I are in Kansas City and were at a restaurant trying to eat but it wasn’t really happening because my mom was sitting across from me bawling into her napkin and me trying to act like nothing is wrong. The waiter must have thought we were crazy. We walked out in our sunglasses and went straight to the hotel. I lost it. And continued to lose it for hours. My dog is my prized possession and we kind of love her to death. Everyone knows that who knows us. I texted everyone I knew and they all went to my house to start searching for her. She loves to hide and sleep in the weirdest places in our house so we had a feeling she was somewhere in there. Nope. They were making Craigslist ads, posters, going door-to-door, etc. My mom and I were helpless bawling in our hotel room all the way in Kansas City. I had awful thoughts going in my head after hours of hearing no good news. Finally, my dad texted and said we found her. My neighbor found her wandering around and put her in the backyard with the rest of her dogs. I guess she didn’t think to call the number that was on Penny’s collar??? When I get home, I will be knocking on her door and thanking her and then asking her what in the world she was thinking? I know Penny is the cutest dog in the world but does she not know that she’s someone pet?!?! Crazy.


Isn't she sweet? This was taken on my birthday night.

Anywho, enough of that. I’m so relieved but am still so emotional about it which is so unlike me!

My mom and I have been in Leawood, KS (Kansas City) since Monday afternoon. We had to drive through some rainy weather but I drove and made it in 4 ½ hours so that was nice. Little did we know that F-3 tornadoes were following close behind. As soon as we checked into our hotel, we saw the awful things Mother Nature was doing back home. People in Oklahoma City, Norman, Choctaw, etc. had homes flattened, cars flown, family members lost in that awful storm. It was terrible and I’m afraid it might not be the last storm of the year.

We are staying in the nicest, newest area of Leawood with everything you can imagine in walking distance of our hotel. We are staying in the most modern hotel you’ve ever seen before! I love it! I’ll let you all know where it is once I leave town just in case there are unwanted visitors!


My mom in front of a cool fountain!

I have had practice rounds at Leawood South Country Club Tuesday and Wednesday with my friends Lucy and Kendra and a new addition to the group, Courtney Mahon. She’s from Missouri and got an exemption into this week’s tournament.





We got over 6 inches of rain last night so the course was closed all day today. I found a fun little driving range to hit at and made it a short day of practice. Leawood South is tight, green, pretty, and hopefully will favor my game this week. My short game has never been so good and if I can fight through the pain of my feet and find fairways and greens, things will be looking goooood!! More than anything, it’s mental and I know that I can make any putt out there, so I’m looking and planning to go low and play consistently for 3 days. I’m not sure how the weather is going to hold up this weekend but at least tomorrow’s weather will be nice. I go off at 9:40am with two friends so we should have a fun day!

People have been asking me if I knew Erica Blasberg who passed away this last Monday. I knew who she was, not sure if I ever played with her but it is an awful story and touches close to home. We are asked to put ourselves out there to promote women’s professional golf and there are a lot of responsibilities and risks in doing so. Playing golf around the world is a blast and people think how easy and great it is but it is an emotional rollercoaster and to play your best, a lot of things have to go in your favor. I could write a book on how hard it is and I’m just in my first full year on Tour! I wouldn’t want to be doing anything else but I’ll be honest and let everyone know it’s not all happy times. The Blasberg family is in my prayers and I want to thank Erica for making the LPGA and women’s golf a better place.

Q&A Time!
This week, David asked, “how tough is it to adjust from course to course with different speeds on the greens?
A: David, it can take some time to get used to the different green speeds and that’s one reason why we get to a tournament site so early in the week. Golf courses are generally the same everywhere you go. Hit it in the fairways...hit it on the greens. Depending on what state you’re can change how far you hit each club but I think the main difference between each course are the green speeds. We have been in Florida and Mexico and southern Texas so we’ve been on nothing but Bermuda greens…not my favorite. There’s a lot more to think about when putting on that grass but here in Leawood, we have smooth bent grass greens and zoysia fairways. The greens are going to get speedy if it dries out and zoysia itself won’t allow for a lot of roll and with all this rain, we aren’t getting but a few inches of roll off of our drives. Thanks for your support and question!!!

Check out live scoring on futurestour.com this weekend and hopefully we can get it going and keep it going!!!

What I’m Reading: “Swinging from My Heels: Confessions of an LPGA Star” by Christina Kim
What I’m Playing for this Week: My dog Penny!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment