Sunday, May 9, 2010

My Week Off

This week has been CRAZY BUSY! I’ve worked really hard on trying to better myself on the course and so far, the results have been positive. I was able to play with my head pro/coach twice this week and the time we spend together is always beneficial for me. I let him know pretty early on in the week that I was frustrated with a lot of parts of my game and since we have such a good relationship, he told me to get my head out of my ass for a lack of better terms and to quit being such a perfectionist. I tweaked a few things on my putting stroke and have some new simple swing thoughts that will hopefully keep the ball in the short grass this coming week.

The weather in Oklahoma this past week was hot but WINDY. It was annoying to play in but great for preparing myself for poor conditions. There is a great chance of storms in Kansas City this coming week where I’ll be playing in the Mercedes-Benz Kansas City Classic. I’m hoping the putter can stay hot but more powerful than that, I have my head in a good place and am ready to play solid golf and hopefully be in contention on Sunday afternoon. Anyone in the surrounding area of KC should come over to Leawood South Country Club and watch some great golf. The tournament starts May 14 and runs through May 16. For further information you can check out futurestour.com.

A while ago I put up a post that anyone could ask me a question and I’d answer it. Here’s a response to Glen:

Q: How far are you hitting your driver?
What type of putter do you use?
What ball do you prefer?
After playing Kierland in Scottsdale in October, I can understand why sometimes the pros don't want to much interaction after a round( I was ready to go to he club house on #16 and I was in a cart) How do you do it physically and mentally day in and out. I know conditioning is huge but 100 degrees is still dang hot. I guess my question is how do you cope?

A: Hey Glen, thanks for caring so much about what I play with and how I deal with things out on the course. First off, it depends on conditions and what state I’m playing in as to how far I hit my driver. It could range from 250 yards all the way to 290 yards. Last week in San Antonio I was reaching 280-290 yards consistently except for the fact I was in the trees. I’d rather bump it down 250 yards and be in the fairway! I switched in March to a Ping Redwood putter with a really pretty Starshot finish. It’s only 33 inches with two degrees flat. They added tungsten weight in the heel and toe because I prefer a heavier putter. I put on a Scotty Cameron baby T grip because I like a little thicker grip to get my hands out of my putting stroke. I play a Titleist ProV1 ball and am thankful that they have been so good to me since turning pro last May. Lastly, I am not too much of an emotional golfer so I try my best to stay neutral on great rounds and bad rounds. I study so much about the mental side of the game rather than the physical side of the game so I know what I should be thinking about and how I should be acting out there. The wonderful thing about golf is a score is not going to determine the type of person you are. If you shoot the absolute worst score you can imagine, God willing, you are still going to be alive the next day. One bad shot is not the end of the world, same as a bad round or a bad tournament. Live in the present, enjoy the GAME, and stop and smell the roses along the way!


The orange dot will be red soon, don't worry!

If anyone else has a question of any sort, comment on the blog, write on my wall, or find me on Twitter, Kendall_Dye.

Will shout back later this week from Kansas City!!!

1 comment:

  1. awesome blog. i enjoy it tremendously. you really get into the details of playing professional golf which is awesome to see. how tough is it to adjust from course to course with the different speeds on the greens? i see on your twitter page that you follow jim rome. i also listen and call/email/text his radio show from time to time. he's got the best sports radio show out there in my mind.

    david coleman
    twitter.com/dcpga

    ReplyDelete