Thursday, August 12, 2010

Coming Down the Home Stretch

Now I’ve never run in a marathon and probably never will, but I feel as though I’m coming down the home stretch of one as this 2010 Duramed Futures Tour season comes to an end.

I feel as though this year has been a long rollercoaster but with only a few elevation changes. I started off the year great with a win in Phoenix at a Cactus Tour event and a second place finish at a Suncoast Tour event in Orlando. I made the first three cuts on the Futures Tour and the next few months looked promising. The summer came around and I hit a wall, a mental block, and missed a few cuts by as little as one stroke.

I believe things happen for a reason and during the first week of July at the US Women’s Open, I was reunited with a guy who I had met months before in Florida. He was caddying for a friend of mine and had a few weeks off in the coming weeks. He offered to help and I jumped at the opportunity. I’ve talked about Paulie before in a previous blog or two but I feel like with him on the bag, I’ve been producing some scores that I knew I was capable of doing. We haven’t missed a cut together and he continues to tell me that I have what it takes to make it to the next Tour so that only gives me confidence in myself and in my own game.

Last week we were in Harrisburg, PA. My mom flew in so I had my old roommate back for the week. The tournament was played at a resort course that was on a side of a mountain. It was pretty difficult to walk but Paulie and I got off to a great start by shooting three under in the first round. I could have taken it nasty low with plenty of opportunities but three under was a decent score for a difficult course. The next two days were not as easy for me and I quickly fell out of the top 10 but made a check and learned that I have what it takes to win every week, I just need to stay patient and believe in myself. My aunt Cathy and high school teammate Rosie came to watch as well. It was great having them there!

My mom and I drove down to Winchester, VA Sunday night to see her mom, brother, sisters, brother-in-laws and my cousins. I have a brand new baby cousin Zoe so I was able to play with her and learned how to change a diaper! Not that I changed it or anything but I watched and took notes… It was great seeing them and was a nice two-day vacation of no golf!

We drove on down to Richmond Tuesday morning where I met Paulie at Kinloch Golf Club to rate for Golf Digest. It was a gorgeous course and we had a great time trash talking one another. I’ve spent the past two days practicing at Richmond Country Club where we will tee up tomorrow afternoon for the first round of the Greater Richmond Golf Classic. I plan to play smart and consistent and if I keep the faith, I feel like Paulie and I will be hard to beat.

My mom and I will head home Monday afternoon for TWO FULL WEEKS!!! I’m sort of excited because I haven’t been home that long in months!!! I have a lot of hard work ahead of me before I get to go home but I’m looking forward to playing some great golf! Have a great weekend everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment