Saturday, June 5, 2010

Colorado Mountains


Team Dye

Well the week in Denver has come to an end but it has been a memorable one to say the least. The family flew up with me on Tuesday morning to Denver for the Colorado Women’s Open. It is a women’s professional event but includes a simultaneous pro am like the PGA’s AT&T Pro Am tournament. I took my brother Adam as my partner this year, knowing we could tear it up. I, however, didn’t carry my weight the first two days…

I shot 74 in the first round with only one birdie. It was a matter of not hitting as many greens as I should have and not making any birdie putts that I normally drop. I was sitting two strokes ahead of the cut, looking to move on up during round two. …My golf game had other plans. I started off the day with a tee shot that hit the cart path and missing the hazard by 2 inches. Whew! I finally caught a break. However, on the 2nd hole I went on to double from 131 yards out in the middle of the fairway. Got one back by getting on a par 5 green in two shots and two putting for birdie. A few holes later I doubled from 107 yards out in the middle of the fairway. Not cool! The 16th hole, my approach shot didn’t make it over the tree and came straight down. I had an awkward 60-yard pitch that I pushed out to the right and hit the same tree and flew into the hazard. I dropped, hit it over the green and proceeded to get that up and down for a beautiful triple. The following two holes I went on to three putt. 9 over, 45. I had my back against the wall at this point.

I can go to some pretty dark places in my head and I’d like to think I can do this but eventually bring myself out of it. When we were walking down #1, our tenth hole of the day, my mom asked if I was awake. Yep, pretty sure those doubles and triple were a cold splash of water right in my face. I was definitely awake but wishing I was in a nightmare to wake up and realize I didn’t just shoot a freakin’ 45! I put myself in deep holes all the time, holes that I can slowly crawl myself out of. Well this, was a dang mine! 9 over on top of the 2 over I shot the day before…I was looking to be in contention on the final day but now I’m thinking I’m missing the cut by a mile and hopefully making the cut for the pro am team competition. I find every green on the second nine and one birdie to finish 45-35. Now that 35 looks awesome but let me tell you, I missed a 2 foot putt on my 17th hole and my chip on the 9th, my eighteenth of the day lipped out and went six feet by, where I proceeded to two putt for par. The 35 was not that pretty.

So here I am, shooting 74-80, on a course that I tore up last year and a course that I should tear up every time I play it but I kept my spirits up because I knew there would be another day with the pro am competition.

We went back to the hotel, showered, and headed over to Boulder so Adam and my sister-in-law Jennifer, could see Pearl Street and all the weirdos that it contains. Us girls went to a lot of different stores while the boys sat outside and people watched. We saw some straaanngge people! There were great photo ops everywhere! We found a yummy Mexican place to eat called The Rio (I believe?) I don’t drink often and especially not lately so since the day sucked so bad I needed a frozen strawberry margarita to make my insides feel a little better. Turns out I had two to make myself feel on top of the world. Two is the limit at this restaurant. We had a fabulous time eating along the street, cracking jokes and speaking inappropriately. By the time dinner was over, I found out that I had made the cut on the number! There lived to be another day!

We drove back to our hotel and I passed out til morning. Best sleep I have had in a long time. Woke up feeling like I had been given a second chance to get myself back into gear. My dad wanted to caddy for me once again but I told him no for the third straight day. I just knew that if I had my bag with me, I couldn’t blame anything on anyone except myself. So he went on to push Adam’s pull cart…something my dad is very good at doing. That and cleaning our dirty balls. Ha!


My dad "caddying." Note us getting ready for the next hole in the background. God love em! :)

I started off the day by sticking an 8 iron to 6 feet. I over read the putt and missed it. Screw it, move on and try again. I stuck my next approach to four feet. MADE IT! Alright, things are feeling back to normal. The next was a par 5 where I put my approach in a bunker about 60 yards away. I stuck a gap wedge shot out of there to 6 feet. Draino! It was raining on the greens we were on. The 14th tee was moved up so I busted driver just to get the ball somewhere around the green. I was 20 yards out and made the chip for eagle! Holy moly, 4 under thru 5 holes. This was getting kind of fun. I block my next tee shot and put it in a nasty fairway bunker looking at a pretty difficult pin up ahead. I somehow manage to put that shot to 12 feet away. My triple hole from the previous day, number 16 was next and I missed the green. I had an easy chip that I somehow managed to thin 20 feet too far. I made the come back putt for par. I stuck the next par 3 tee shot to 6 feet that I went on to par. And finally the 18th, our 9th of the day, I put to 12 feet that fell in for birdie. 5 under, 31, on that side. Less than 24 hours prior I shot 45 on those 9 holes. Who does that? I still don’t believe I shot a 45.


My near hole-in-one

I knew I still had a lot more golf to play and I had to keep digging out of that 10 over par hole I put myself in. 5 more birdies was the goal. I had plenty of opportunities, hitting every single green and hitting every single fairway. I found only one birdie on the second nine and that was on #5, par 3 that was 154 yards. I hit a 9 iron and saw it bounce in front of the hole, tap the pin and finish 5 inches from the cup. I was so disappointed. How could that thing not go in?! I had a tap in birdie and pared the rest of the way in. 66, -6, +4 overall. I moved from T44th to T12th. Not awful but man the whatifs! I like that I graced my presence in each category. I saw the 70s, 80s, and 60s all in a matter of three consecutive rounds. Team Dye shot 64 today, 68 on round one and 66 yesterday, -18 which got us 6th in the pro am competition. Adam was able to get two brand new Vokey wedges with his golf shop money so he was a happy boy. I wish I could’ve helped more in the first two rounds but I was glad to play well in front of him and show him that I’m not wasting my time playing professionally. I think he believes I can do it, but it’s nice to show the brother I can score well. I made a decent check of $2200, which will be nice to put back into the golf account and hopefully see a few more bigger checks in the coming weeks.



We are currently flying back to OKC for one full day then heading northeast in the car to Mason, OH. I am thinking we will stop in St. Louis Sunday night to check out my friend Sammy B’s new town and then head on to Ohio Monday morning. I am thinking about playing and rating Canyata Club in Cincinnati since it’s a top 100 course. There is also King’s Island Amusement Park which I’ll be finding some free time to visit. I’ll play in the Futures event in Ohio Friday, June 11-13 then drive over to Decatur, IL to play in another Futures event June 17-20. I’m thinking about rating a course called Camargo Golf Club in Illiniois that is another top 100 course and a must-see! Mama Dye and I will be driving home on Father’s Day and will stay home for one full week before I head out for another three weeks.

I’m so tired and can’t wait to see my puppy dog and get into my own bed! We had a great week full of laughter and memories and I’m so glad the entire family got to go with me. Hopefully it won’t be the last. Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment