Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Land of Lincoln!

One week down, one more to go. Last Sunday, my mom and I began our two-week journey up to Ohio. I drove the entire way up there while she sat patiently in the passenger seat, reading magazines, texting, facebooking, and making fun of small town names with me. For example, Effingham, IL…great name!

We drove 7 hours to St. Louis, spent the night, and drove 5 hours on to Cincinnati the next day. It was my first time to Cincy so I didn’t know how humid the weather could get. It was unbelievably HUMID! Memphis-like. My friend Lucy and I went to King’s Island Amusement Park Tuesday afternoon after my one-hour driving range session. We had an absolute blast riding all of the roller coasters and acting like little kids. I took my camera on almost every ride and found out at the end of the day that I was breaking a park rule by doing so, whoops!



Wednesday morning I was selected to play in the tournament’s pro am. I was paired up with a fun group and ended up shooting -12. We missed the prizes by 2 shots but I had a great time and met some cool guys. That night I had to go back up to the course for the Pro Party. We have one each week with the sponsors of the tournament. I won an iTunes gift card so I was a happy girl.

Thursday afternoon I had my one and only practice round with my usual group, Lucy Nunn, Kendra Hanson, and Jane Rah. Since Jane is higher up on the money list than the rest of us, I made her sign a contract that if she won she had to pay for all of our tickets back to King’s Island. She was tied for the lead after the first round but ended up getting 9th which is great for a 19 year old!

Friday was my first round of the Teva Championship in Mason, OH and I teed off at 1:30pm. I played alright and made some good putts but also missed two short ones and three putted a few too many times. I shot -1 and stood 5 shots off the lead. The next morning we had a four-hour rain delay that pushed my 12:20pm starting time to 4:25pm. I didn’t think there was any way we could get the round in but as we sprinted up the last par 3 and got our short knocker of the group to tee off on 18, we finished the last hole in the dark while the other girls had to come in due to the horn sounding off because of darkness. I was really thankful we didn’t have to get up and play one hole early Sunday morning. We leisurely got to the course the next morning to find out that I missed the cut by one shot. It was my second cut to miss and kind of heartbreaking to know that I played awful in the second round and only missed it by one. I could count on 2 hands the number of opportunities I had to make birdie or save par and I didn’t. I know every good player misses cuts and I just cannot let this get me down. It is one of many tournaments I play in and just because my swing is going through a lull, I’m going to work extremely hard to make sure that never happens again.

My mom and I decided to drive west and see some of my friends in Carmel, IN. But first, I went to Crooked Stick Golf Club to rate a top 100 golf course. I had no problem getting on and played a quick 18 with their first assistant professional. I warmed up next to Alice Dye giving a lesson to a member and then met famous golf course architect Pete Dye on the first tee box. Pretty neat because I always tell people he is my grandpa and he designs so many great golf courses. He was a pretty cute old man and it made my day! Little did I know that when I was on my second to last hole, I took my cart the wrong way and almost went right into a member’s tee shot. That member happened to be Peyton Manning. I wanted to go over there and get a picture with him but the assistant pro said that he is the one member that they shy away people from. Danget! At least I got to see him up close and personal though. I slow played the rest of the way around just in case he came back by the clubhouse. He never did but maybe one day I’ll get to really meet him. We had a home cooked dinner with my friends, the Savich’s, in Carmel and had a great night off from the typical restaurant and hotel room. They are the funniest people I know! Lots of laughs and stories but then we had to leave them be because the girls had a big tournament the next morning in south Indianapolis.


Grandpa Pete Dye and I!

Monday, my mom and I drove 2 hours west to Decatur, IL. It is the original home of the Chicago Bears. That’s about all it is home to. The exit we took for Decatur had a big blue attraction sign that had absolutely nothing on it. Awesome. We get to spend an entire week here too!!! This week is the Tour Championship so it will be a four round tournament starting on Thursday morning. We were only allowed one practice round on Tuesday because they had three pro ams this week. As most people know, the weather has been crazy lately. At home, OKC got 11 inches in just a few hours. It must’ve travelled up to where I am because this is what we got last night:



They are going to make one par 5 a par 3 because it is completely underwater. The tee times have already been moved back an hour and a half and who knows what will actually happen tomorrow morning before the first group tees off.


My practice round group: Tara, Jane, and I....the ones who never use pull carts!


My first official day to ever use one of these!

Since we didn’t get a practice round today, Lucy and I had a nice long morning practice and then hit the tennis courts this afternoon. We played for a solid two hours so I can only imagine how sore I’m going to be in the morning.

Welp, time to get some rest! Hopefully we can play all 18, for all 4 days and without rain delays! I don’t think we would know how to play without rain! Hope everyone has a great weekend and is enjoying their summer. I realized today that I have been home for one full day in Oklahoma this whole month. I’m ready for some home cooked meals, my bed, and my dog! Next week! Gotta make some money before I go home though!

What I’m Listening to: Drake - Thank Me Later
What I’m Reading: I Was Told There’d Be Cake by Sloane Crosley

Major life changing news for me: My best friend Caitlan was hired this past week at Kempler Energy in South Beach Miami! I have a hard time seeing my best friend move across country but I'm so proud of her for graduating in 5 years with her undergrad in industrial engineering annnnd receiving her MBA. Another close friend, MJ Desbiens, was recently hired as Arkansas State's Head Womens Golf Coach! Another huge hire and I know she is going to take that team to the top. She has already moved to Jonesboro and I didn't even get to say goodbye to her. My weekly lunch buddy has left me so now I have to travel 7 hours one way to have a meal with her...I will do it! So proud of you MJ! And finally, another one of my best friends, Whitney, has started her first summer in PA School at the University of Oklahoma. She is going to be one of the best PA's ever but the next two and a half years are going to be brutal for her. Please keep these three girls in your prayers. They are doing great things in the world and I'm so thankful to have them in my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment