Thursday, March 27, 2014

Lake Wales, FL

I experienced some trials and tribulations this past weekend in Lake Wales, FL.  I got off to a fantastic start in my first round by posting -3, 69 and sat in a tie for 2nd place.  Then Saturday and Sunday happened.  Somewhere in between Friday afternoon and Saturday morning my golf game took a breather and I did not play my best, whatsoever.  However, I did have a great veteran caddie on my bag, Upstate Jay.  I really enjoyed his company and hope to have him again in the future.  I am glad that weekend is over because I plan on playing a ton better this weekend.

As soon as I finished my round Sunday afternoon, I sat on 18 green and watched the leaders finish the golf tournament.  It was good for me to sit outside of the ropes and watch the golfers play the course I had just played.  It made me realize that I love to be inside the ropes and I love to be the one with the club in my hands over the ball.  I sat there for well over an hour and I feel I walked away with more knowledge.  Normally when a player plays bad, they want to get in their car and leave the course as fast as possible.  I didn’t have a flight to catch so I took the opportunity to watch the tournament end.  It was a valuable experience.  

I left Lake Wales and headed deeper into the sticks of Florida.  I decided to take a little getaway vacation to a place called Streamsong Resort.  It’s not on the map but its somewhere near Fort Meade, FL.  This place is special!  As soon as I pulled up, they knew my name and took care of my bags and car for me.  The resort opened two months ago and was gorgeous.  It is really modern but so comfortable and accommodating.  I had a nice dinner at the clubhouse and retreated back to my beautiful room for the evening.  I had a little room service Monday morning (I would never do that but there isn’t a gas station in a million miles.) I was in heaven!  It was raining but that didn’t discourage me from putting on my golf clothes and rain gear and heading to the clubhouse.  I got a rickshaw pull cart and met my playing partners and teed it up on 1. 450 yard par 4 straight up the hill….we were playing the senior tees.  Welcome to Streamsong.  I rated Streamsong Red for Golf Digest (my off-time gig) and I thoroughly enjoyed the day, the rainy weather and my unique playing partners and caddies in the group.  I was sad to leave but I had another week of work to be done in north Orlando.

I drove up to Longwood, FL and settled in to my hotel for the week.  We are playing Alaqua Country Club in the IOA Classic.  I’ve had two really good practice rounds with my good friend Jessi White and just finished up a pro am with a fun team.  I’m able to stay up tonight and watch a little March Madness before hitting the hay.  I have a veteran caddie on the bag this week, Debbie Raso.  I played really solid today and I have already forgotten about my small blip of poor golf this past weekend.  Golf mojo is a rollercoaster and I prefer riding high.  The forecast looks to be a little rainy but I hope we get lucky so I can make my late Sunday night flight back to Phoenix.  I have missed home this trip!!!  Thanks for the support and cheers.  Hoping to bring back some good news.

What I’m Reading: Frackers


1 comment: