Tuesday, March 4, 2014

We Survived LA!

Wow! What a weekend we just had on the Symetra Tour.  The weather predictions were correct!  We received a ton of rain on our opening round, which was canceled, and the tournament was reduced to 36 holes.  Saturday was another messy day.  We were delayed until the afternoon and then only played 3 holes due to rain and thunder and lightning.  Not a good combination for safe golf.

Talk about frustrating. 

Sunday morning I finished 15 holes and it was an ugly start to the day.  At one point I was five over par.  I haven’t been that many over par in a long time but I told myself “this is one round of many. It’s not life or death. Play hard and control your attitude to be the best it can be.”  I ended up having three birdies in a row on the back nine and salvaged a two over par for the round. 

The tournament went in to Monday (my birthday.)  I was only four shots back of the leaders and had absolutely nothing to lose.  The conditions were really soft so I could pound driver all day long and fire at pins if not behind pins because we were spinning the ball so much.  I was four under par on the front nine including a dumb three-putt bogey.  (All three putts are dumb…I had four for the tournament. Sickening!) I continued to stick it on the back nine but made NOTHING. I ended shooting the most frustrating, easy three under 69 of my life.  When I saw what the leaderboard was doing it made me sick to my stomach thinking what could have been.  I cannot control the ball finding the bottom of the cup but I gave myself a ton of opportunities and that is all I can ask for. 

I ended up tying for 5th and currently sit 9th on the season long money list.  A 14th place and a 5th place finish is a pretty good start to the season…much better start than last year where I finished 19th on the money list at the end of the year.  I have a lot of positives to take from the last two tournaments.   Golf is a rollercoaster ride but it’s best to ride out the highs for as long as possible. 

I met some fantastic people in LA this past week and we ended up winning the pro am which was great.  I didn’t get to see much of the city due to the weather and the crazy unpredictable golf schedule.  We bowled. Saw a movie. Slept a lot. I hope to go back to LA sometime soon to play the really nice golf courses and site see. 

I drove Billy and I home last night in record time.  We were both exhausted so we will celebrate me turning one year older at a nice dinner this week.  I’m taking today off from golf to catch up on my life after being gone for so long and then will get back at it tomorrow.  I am playing in a Cactus Tour event next week so I need to prepare to be a contender. I am most likely withdrawing from the Monday Qualifier I had intended to play in for the LPGA Founders Cup in Phoenix.  I have decided to spend 100% of my time devoted to the Symetra Tour and securing my LPGA Card for next season. God willing!


Thanks for the continuous support and the kind words.  Boomer!

2 comments:

  1. Smart move on sticking with the Symetra and getting your card that way. You're solid and improving steadily, and a top 10 on the money list is very realistic (in fact, I wouldn't bet against it). Go get em!!

    ReplyDelete