Monday, March 17, 2014

Wildfire Cactus Tour

Wow! What a hectic travel day!  Let me describe this experience for you so you can feel the anxiety I felt this morning.

Billy left at 5:30am to be a kind boyfriend and regrip my clubs and polish up some irons before I left for two weeks.  He returned with them looking brand new except he needed to get right back to Ping because his set up guy no showed him this morning.  I called for a cab at 7am to pick me up for the airport at 8:15am. 8. 15. At 8:30am I called to see where my ride was. At 8:45am I called again to see where my ride was. At 9:00am I called to see where my ride was.  At this point I’m not feeling very cheery especially when the dispatcher told me a cab was on its way but wouldn’t arrive for another 20 minutes.  9:20am? I’m pretty sure I made a reservation for 8:15am. My flight was at 10:25am and I do live in a large metropolis city where a few people fly out of on a Monday morning, Spring Break no less.  Oh yea, and Billy had BOTH sets of keys on him at work. As I waited in the house for over an hour I went through a rollercoaster of emotions as one could imagine.  In the end, I decided that I wasn’t going to die over it and no one was going to get hurt. Wait. Let me retract that last statement.  I decided I was in zero control of the situation now and the worst that could happen was dollars being subtracted from my bank account for a flight change.  "Go with the flow and smell the roses."  A taxi man showed up (down the street…he couldn’t find my house with my luggage sitting in the driveway) at 9:25am and I told him “I know it’s not your fault but it’s your company’s fault and I need you to go super fast to the airport. Don’t turn on the GPS. I’ll get you there! Go!”  ...“Go” for him meant the dang speed limit, not getting out in the intersection to turn left on a green light, and surely not going through any yellow lights.  I put my head in my hands and kept telling myself everything will work out.  We finally arrived at the airport after taxi man made a few wrong turns out of the neighborhood and me coaxing him to drive just a litttttle faster. I threw him money and raced to the A list ticket line and security line.  I. MADE. IT. I flew over to Orlando and by the grace of God, both of my bags made it as well. I’m a thankful girl laying in bed watching my Thunder play a close ball game against the Bulls.  Many lessons were learned today.

Quick review of last week! I played in a Cactus Tour event at Wildfire in Phoenix. It was the biggest Cactus Tour event ever! 65 players and a ton of great names.  I fought hard my first round but fell at the very end by finishing bogey bogey to shoot two over.  That left me with a horrible taste in my mouth so I went to my home club The Raven and pounded some shots on the range.  The next round I left a TON of opportunities out there and only shot one under. By a ton I mean I was home in two on par 5s and walked away with par…I missed multiple putts within 5 feet and thankfully stuck it to less than a foot to tap in the birdie on 18 for that one under score.  I was well behind the leaders but knew I could make a decent paycheck if I could just put together one solid round.  I was paired the final day with my good friend Jessi White.  My first tee shot of the day I snapped a three wood into the desert and made bogey.  Not my intentions…  On the 3rd hole, I was just in front of the green on a par 5 in two shots and walked away with par.  This was starting to tick me off.  But then I reached the 4th hole and made a great 6 footer for birdie.  Then I made a sweeeeet putt on the 5th hole for birdie.  Then I mishit a putt on 6 for birdie but it found the bottom of the cup.  Then I was home in two on the par 5 9th and I made the eagle putt.  Then I made my 4 foot birdie putt on 10. And 11. Made a ridiculous save on 13. Made another birdie on 14. 16 gave me drama.  I put my tee shot in the desert, I nailed a tree on the second shot and sent the ball 90 degrees left. I got up and down from 90 yards out for par. Oops. And made my 7th birdie of the round on 18.  7 birdies. 1 eagle. 3 bogeys for a 66. I moved up the leaderboard to 5th place and cashed a nice check from the Cactus Tour.  I knew I was bound to crack open the jar. I know it’s in me to play great every round. I know it’s not going to happen everyday because that is the nature of golf but I can feel it in my bones that I am able to throw down some psycho low rounds on a fairly regular basis.  I worked hard on my chipping the past few days.  I will continue to work a large majority of my practice time on my short game.  From the story above, I made it safe and sound to Orlando and will get after it tomorrow.  We play at Lake Wales Country Club this weekend.  I’ve hired a veteran caddy to tote the bag for me this week so that should be good. 


I want to thank John Semcken and Pacific Palms Resort from the City of Industry, CA for a new partnership with me this season.  John and I were paired in the last Symetra Tour’s pro am and won! I am proud to have the Pacific Palms logo on my towels this season and have an ongoing relationship with them in the future.  Thank you so, so much!



What I'm Reading: We Are Water
What I'm Listening To: Eric Church 

No comments:

Post a Comment