Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Countdown to Q School

Well, well, well, look at me again. I have failed yet again on updating this dang thing!!! I tend to have very eventful days in my life but by the time I get home at night, I am just plum tired! I will do my best to recap the last few weeks of my life in an efficient, yet entertaining manner. Here we go:

On August 29, I was the maid of honor for my very good friend/college teammate Jaclyn Stelzer. It was a wonderful weekend down in Norman with old teammates as fellow bridesmaids. Jac was by far the most easygoing bride I've ever been around and it was sooo nice! I gave a speech that night which made the crowd chuckle a time or two. I am proud to say that my song request, "Cupid Shuffle" got everyone off their feet and had an absolute blast! It was almost like the scene in the classic movie "She's All That" with Freddie Prinze Jr. where everyone was dancing right on cue. I hate to admit it but I was sore the next day from dancing...

This past weekend I traveled down to Arlington with my good friend Megan to the OU-BYU game. We had 8th row seats which were amazing and ended up getting on the jumbotron 3 times! That place is indescribable, everyone should make it a personal goal to go see a game in that stadium. Ridiculous. Unfortunately, the Cougars came out on top and left a sour taste in every Sooner's mouth. For me personally, I couldn't be too upset because they were a classy bunch, players and fans alike. We shot ourselves in the foot and brought the loss on ourselves.


For some reason, I was not too upset. I wouldn't call it a lack of being competitive but maybe I'm maturing, or just realizing that there are more important things to worry about in this world. This is not because we are 0-1 and I think the season is a complete loss. I haven't given up hope. However, my mindset might have changed once I saw Corey Wilson rolling his wheelchair out on the field for the first time. It gave me more chills than any opening OU football video I've seen. It was so neat to see him out there, shaking hands with the other players and at the coin toss. It put everything in perspective for me. He was out there for a reason and I think we should be reminded that a loss in football is nothing compared to having a healthy and enriched life. After seeing him, I had a calmness about me, whether that be because of Corey, or the sweet comfy leather chairs we were sitting in, or the lovely BYU fans surrounding us, but I knew that the outcome was already decided before the football was first kicked off. Hopefully Sammy B will recover fast and get back out there for us.

Anywho, to change sports to the actual one I play, I have 8 official days until I tee off on my first hole of the 2010 LPGA Qualifying School in Palm Springs, California. It's being played at Mission Hills and starts on September 17. There is a cut after the second round with two more rounds on the weekend. Top 30 and ties go on to the final stage in December in Daytona Beach, FL. If I happen to not have my A game in Palm Springs then I will head to Venice, FL on September 24 and play in the other LPGA Q School Sectional on September 29-October 2. The nice thing about that trip is that OU happens to play Miami in Miami on October 3 so I will just have to finish that trip off with a football game!

I've been doing my best to use all the resources I have around me in order to prepare myself for Q School. I decided that I needed to play with some extremely good players and positive players leading up to California so I called some local pros and they were so kind to play with me this past week. Tim Fleming had me out at Oklahoma City Country Club which was great and Jim Woodward hosted me at Oak Tree National this morning. Both guys were wonderful to play with and gave me great advice about what to expect in the coming weeks. I've been working hard with my head pro Brent Cryer and I feel pretty good about going and playing solid golf.

I've got two golf dates tomorrow which will consist of 36 holes but will have a much lighter schedule going into the weekend. Quick shout out to Lucy Nunn in this weekends LPGA tournament in Arkansas. Be sure to watch out for her! Also, Milena Savich, out of the University of Georgia, representing her team well in the Hooter's Match Play tournament this past week. And last but not least, the OU Womens Golf team heads down to Bryan, TX to play in the "Mo" this weekend. Good luck girls!!!

What I'm reading: The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks
What I'm hearing: Kings of Leon

No comments:

Post a Comment