Friday, September 18, 2009

Done in the Desert


Welp, this pretty much sums up my time spent in the desert. Temperatures reached up to 109 and my skin was loving it. It's a shame that my feet didn't get any loving.

Today was the second round of LPGA Q School and once again, I got off to a good start. Hit lots of greens and made lots of pars. I wasn't hitting the ball the best on the range so I decided to take my little 3/4 knockdown shot to the course. I think that was the smartest decision I could have made because I didn't have all these swing thoughts running through my head like I did late in the round yesterday.

My caddie and I talked about my round yesterday and came to the conclusion that I didn't play bad at all. I had an unlucky break with a lost ball off the right side of the fairway and one or two loose tee shots. I believe it was Hogan who said that you only have 5 perfect shots in a given round so overall, I was happy with how I played. I'm getting better and better on bermuda greens and my putting stroke feels solid right now.

I learned in the last two days that it takes robotic golf to make it out there. It doesn't necessarily have to be perfect golf but just ho-hum fairways, greens, two putts if not one putts. Take your pars on every hole but capitalize on the short birdie putts when they come. I know that I have it in me to do this, it's just a matter of time of putting it all together.

My caddie John was awesome this week. One of my all-time favorite caddies. He knows that course like the back of his hand and could read putts super fast. He swore he would teach me how to plumb bob but he never did. I am trying to figure out a way that I can fly him across country next week so that he can caddie for me down in Florida for my second chance. We worked well together and I think he enjoyed his time out there as well.
This is my awesome caddie John and I after the second round. He wore his Sooner red to represent for me.

After my round today we drove out to the west side of Palm Springs to ride a tram up a mountain. Unfortunately they were closed so we drove over to the northeast side of town and found Thousand Palms Park I believe. It was out in the middle of the desert and had lots of tall palm trees and some walking trails. We were the only ones out there and mountain lion signs everywhere. I was thirty years younger than everyone else so I figured I could out run them all.




My mama in the palms

My aunt way down there
We are heading back to San Diego for the weekend. Going to the beach tomorrow and cooking out tomorrow night. Going to relax and enjoy some college football. My friend who plays for San Diego State who I met in Hawaii is hooking me up with two passes to the LPGA tournament at Torrey Pines so my dad and I are going there on Sunday. We fly home Monday. I'll have a quick two days of practice and birthday dinner with my brother then head to Venice, FL on Thursday. Hopefully I can fly John out there to caddie for me once again and play solid for four rounds. I'm looking forward to it! Thanks for everyone who kept up with me this past week and sent warm wishes. I really appreciate your kind words out here on the road, it means a lot!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment