Thursday, February 4, 2010

Finally Got the W!

Whew! I’m tired!

What a day?! I had no clue how much fun today was going to be when I woke up this morning. I have been surrounded by people I love and that just makes the day that much sweeter. I tell you what, winning sure does beat the alternative.

The day started off with me two strokes behind the two leaders and tied with two other girls. I was playing in the second to last group, which statistically has always worked out in my favor…no pressure on my end. I like a good chase.

On my first hole I nailed my approach 15 yards over the green. The reason for it, I went to Ping the night before to get my irons bent a degree and a half flatter (where they should have been from day one.) I had been hitting thin iron shots for months and thought it was my swing. Turns out, my irons were more than half the problem. Anywho, with it going 15 yards over the green I told myself that my irons were back to their old ways and to trust my old distances, no more offseason, weak, short distances. I was looking at a double on the first green but thankfully made my knee knocker putt for bogey. I gained it back on the next green by making a 15-foot birdie putt. I got to the 171-yard par 3, hole number 4, and made a 50-60 foot putt for birdie. Those are gifts. The next hole was a par 5 that I was able to reach in two but missed it just to the right of the green. It was an easy up and down for birdie. Hole number 8 was also another par 5 that is reachable but since I missed my first fairway of the day, I had to lay up and pitch close and make my 2 footer for birdie. I put myself into the deepest fairway bunker I’ve ever seen on 9 and had to use my most lofted club just to make sure I got out. I bogeyed that and made the turn at 2 under. I had some work cut out for me because I knew that going 4 under on the back nine was going to give me a great chance at winning.


Teeing off to start the final round

Well, apparently my body didn’t listen to my brain because my 10th tee shot was blocked right and into some prickly trees that guarded the left side of the driving range. Not good…the pin was tucked right, I was right, and I was getting cut up from a nasty desert-looking tree. All I could do was punch a 5 iron back to the fairway. I think my backswing was 2 feet long, I’m just glad I didn’t whiff it! I’m pretty sure I cut my shirt all up with the branches. I was able to stick my 3rd shot to a foot and tap in for par. Ho hum par right? Lord! I don’t like to make golf easy. I missed a 6-foot birdie putt on 11 and came to the par 5 12th hole. I was able to reach the green in two shots and 2 putted for birdie. I missed the eagle putt by a hair. Danget! That would have won me some skins money (we had a skins game going with the rest of the field.) Hole 14 was another par 5 that I was able to get up and down for birdie as well as sticking one close on 16 and making a 5 footer for birdie. I gave myself a decent birdie chance on 18 for a 66 but I missed it to the right by 2 inches. Tap in for 67, which is a nice way to finish. I know there is no such thing as a perfect round of golf. Shooting 18 under is possible in a given round but even doing that, you’re going to have shots that aren’t perfect. Thinking over my three tournament rounds, finishing 9 under, there were so many shots I left out there. It’s kind of exciting to think about and know that if I did it for one tournament, I can do it over and over again.


My last birdie hole of the tournament - No. 16

To finish up how the day went, the girls in the final group all shot in the 70s and I ended up winning by 3 shots. It turns out I didn’t even have to shoot a 66 to win. I’m glad my mom and college roommate/teammate Kelly Jacques were there to celebrate with me. Kelly was more ecstatic than I was. I guess I was still waiting for someone to tell me that I got second place haha!


My roommate/teammate Kelly Jacques...just a roommate pose, we like boys, don't worry!


The Cactus Tour money winners

The weird thing is, as I was walking from our casita to the course this morning, I called Alex Brown, my trainer from OU, to tell him about my situation. He was so excited and said that’s right where he would want to be, two shots back, in the second to last group. He told me to shoot a 67 and that if I didn’t win, then the other girls outplayed me. I told him, “Nah, I want to shoot a 66 and not worry about a playoff or anything like that.” When I called him after the round, I told him. “Welp, you were right, 67 won it by 3 but it’s a shame because I had 7 birdies with 2 bogeys.” He couldn’t believe it but was extremely happy for me. That’s what makes doing what I’m doing so much fun. There have been so many people in my life that have helped me, encouraged me, and pushed me to become a better person and player. Any bit of success I have in this “individual” sport is a reflection of the awesome people I have in my life. I don’t take a single one of you for granted; I’m a lucky girl!


Finally got the dub!

After the award presentation wrapped up, we took lots and lots of pictures and then my mom and I went out to eat with my good friends Kendra Hanson, Kelly Jacques, Michaela Cavener, and Tara Godeken. During my final round I only ate a bag of pretzels. I know my college coaches and dad would get on to me as they always do because when I get in the moment, I don’t eat! My eyes are always bigger than my stomach so we ordered loads and loads of food but I could only eat a tiny bit. We had to make a special stop across the street to the famous Sprinkles cupcake place. My friend Christina “egg roll” Cung made a request for some red velvet cupcakes so it was on my to-do list before I left Phoenix. It was a wonderful day but the only downfall was I didn’t get a huge cardboard check to take back on the plane with me (instead I’ll be toting and guarding the red velvet cupcakes with my life.) It was a mini tour event so they don’t do those but it gives me something to work hard towards.


My mama and I (it looks like it could be an Easter picture!)


My favorite Iowan, Kendra Hanson

It was a wonderful trip: 10 straight days of golf, beautiful weather, green lush grass, great friends, food, and a tournament win to cap it all off. I’m looking forward to going home and seeing friends and family, relaxing a little bit in OKC, losing my tan in the cold weather, and catching up on all my DVR’d shows. I want to thank each one of you for the encouragement and well wishes. It’s been a great start to the new year and I’m looking forward to seeing what the future holds. Have a great weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment