Monday, February 1, 2010

Cactus Tour - Round One

It’s been a while since I last updated about my long adventure in Phoenix land. I love it here. I can honestly say I haven’t missed Oklahoma while I’ve been in the desert. It’s kind of easy to love it here with their consistent warm temps, calm winds, green grass, and gorgeous views. I feel like I need another two weeks in Phoenix to see all I want to see.

This past Friday was spent practicing. My old college roommate and teammate Kelly Jacques took me over to ASU Karsten to practice some short game. It was like old times and good to catch up with her. We spent two hours working on 80 yards and in but hunger set in so we had to hurry and find a Subway quick. The closest Subway was in a gas station so we ate in the car instead of choosing to sit with the homeless people picnicking in the grass behind the Shell station. Wise decision.

We all went out to Old Town Scottsdale that night for happy hour sushi. It was delish and the atmosphere was great. I’m hoping to make it back up there before I leave on Thursday.


Sushi night with the girls!

Michaela, Tara, and I spent Saturday morning playing a practice round at the Legacy Golf Resort (which is where I’m staying now.) We were paired up with a nice older man named Larry. I was lucky enough to ride with Larry and we had a great time. We practiced more after our round and I had an epiphany on the range. My specs on my irons are way off! It’s not my swing that’s the main problem! I need stronger, flatter, different irons! Thankfully I’m going to Ping tomorrow to get that all worked out. I’m excited! After our 8 hour practice day, I checked into the resort and had a night in my casita to myself. It was wonderful. My mom was supposed to make it in that day but the snow and ice in OKC didn’t allow her to get out until Sunday.


The pretty fountain at the resort we are staying at

Mama Dye finally made it yesterday afternoon and was excited to get out of the nasty weather. I practiced in the morning before she got there so we would have the rest of the day to do whatever. We ran some errands and had a Mexican dinner with Tara and Michaela. Our OKC Channel 5 sports director Mark Rodgers told me to try this place out and I must say, he must’ve had many margaritas before he ate there because I’ve definitely had better. We still had a good time though!

I was able to sleep in this morning and walk to the course to warm up for the first round of the Cactus Tour’s first event of the year. I got off to a decent start and ended up only making one bogey for the entire round. In my last two tournament rounds, 36 holes, I’ve had 2 bogeys so that’s pretty cool. I just realized that statistic. Hopefully I can keep that trend going. I ended up shooting 3 under today and am tied for the lead with two other girls. Everyone is very close behind so I’m going to have to keep the pars and birdies coming.


Teeing off this morning at the Legacy


Putting out on 18 at the Legacy

Hope everyone is having a great week. I tried switching my flight to stay longer down here in the nice weather but it was going to cost me $400 so I said no thank you! Guess that God’s way of telling me I need to go home, go to the OU-Texas bball game Saturday, and sit inside and watch the snow melt with my friends. I bet my dog and dad miss me too. Take care everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment