Saturday, January 30, 2010

My Dream Foursome?


Who are dem chillens? (I wore that Taz shirt every Sunday to golf...it was awesome back then.)

My dream foursome?

That’s a pretty common question among golfers and a very interesting one to hear the response to. Most people would answer Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer, or Tiger Woods (although I’m not sure if they would say that anymore.) I haven’t been asked that question too often and I don’t think of it as frequently as I probably should. It’s an easy one though. However, I would add an extra person to the group to make it a dream five some. I can do that because, well, it’s my dream.

You can ask any one of my college teammates and they would tell you that any chance I had to go back home to Edmond to play with my dad and brother, I would. They would make fun of me for going home often but I hate missing a golf outing with them. I hate it when I don’t get to play in fun scrambles with the two of them because I love playing with them. It’s as simple as that. My dad would agree with me though, I have never played to my full potential when I play with Adam for some odd reason. It’s like he’s in my head.


Me and my boys at All-State my senior year in high school

Adam has never seen me play well in a tournament, or seen me win college tournaments. He’s also never attended any of my professional events, yet, that is. If I could, I’d hire him to caddy for me. It’d be so easy to travel with him and I truly think he’d love it. The problems are he’s married, has a 90 pound hairy daughter of a Golden Retriever named Lily, and has a great full time paying job (for my dad) so that idea is probably shot out the window.


Adam caddying for me at Fore State at Southern Hills in 2008

He knows his stuff though when it comes to golf. We have spent countless hours analyzing our swings on video when they really don’t need to be analyzed. Our swings are very similar except that I swing much slower…or smoother you could say. He’s left-handed except when it comes to golf and that’s why he’s always been able to hit it far. When I was little and doing things the opposite of him, he told me that I was doing it wrong so that’s why I throw, kick, hit, bowl, etc. etc. left-handed. However when I started playing golf, my dad didn’t want to have to search for left-handed clubs so we play golf right-handed, which I believe is why we hit it further than the average golfer. So I’d have to say Adam would be included in my dream five some.


Similar swings?


Adam putting in college...I'm not the only one in the family who can get tan.

The next on my list is my dad. I usually feel like I have to beg him to come out to play with me when he’d much rather spend his afternoons napping on the couch in front of a TV but I cherish the times I spend with him out on a golf course. We have so many memories together at our club and he’s the one who got my brother and I out on a golf course in the first place.


We had an empty lot behind our house so it was our own personal driving range...less than 100 yards long.

When I was little, I would die to drive the golf cart around so once we got away from the clubhouse, he let me drive. When we’d come around to holes 6 and 7 I’d have to let him drive again but when we made it back out away from the clubhouse view, I was behind the wheel, not caring too much about the golf. Growing up, Sunday afternoons were always spent at the Greens Country Club in Oklahoma City. We’d rush home from lunch after church, change clothes, and head to the club for our 2 o'clock tee time. My mom hardly ever came out to watch because she knew that that was our time with our dad. She’d be busy at home cooking dinner for that night. My dad used to be able to shoot in the 70s but I honestly can’t remember those days. We love to record my dad on video, especially when he’s in jail behind a tree or about to ricochet and hit himself with his own golf ball. My dad never would have taught my brother and I to play golf if it wasn’t for the guy who taught him, his father-in-law, and my grandpa.


My dad in his thinner days. This is probably when he was shooting in the 70s because I don't remember either ha! JK Dad!


The reason I bring my dad along to the course...for comic relief

If I met a genie, and could have three wishes, one of those wishes would be to play a round with my deceased grandpa, Paw Paw. He passed away when I was in college a few years ago but many years before that, he was bed ridden and was never able to see me play. I ask family members all of the time about whether he was really good, how he handled himself on the course, what his strengths were and so forth. I’d give anything to play a single round with him. I know a lot of my friends who take advantage of their grandparents and relatives and don’t even realize how they should cherish every moment spent with them. It’s not like anyone can help how life works but I know good and well Paw Paw is watching me play now. The thing is, I want to watch him play more than I want him watching me play. One day it’ll happen!


Adam and Paw Paw many years ago


Don't be distracted by Adam's buckteeth or ears. Paw Paw with my mom and brother back in the day.

That leaves one more person to round out my dream five some. I have many relatives who play golf and who I love to play golf with but one stands out. I’d choose my uncle Tony. I think he is one of the most passionate lovers of the sport. He has taught, played and now watches and critiques golf on TV. He’s one of my biggest fans and was able to travel and watch me play in college. I loved it when he came because I would hear him yelling from the cart path “get in the hole!” Even if it wasn’t super close, he had faith that I could make any shot go in the hole. Tony has had some health problems arise in the last couple of years and it really put him back and slowed him down. We almost lost him and I don’t know what I would have done without him. He’s only 54 and has a lot of life left. Tony is doing a lot of physical therapy with his PT Jack. He is making leaps and bounds and he promised that the next time I make it over to Virginia, he’s going with me to the range. He’s a determined guy and I know he will.


Tony back in the day with his clubs


Tony, Adam and I in Virgina


Tony came out to Vegas to watch me play in my first semester of college golf. I remember shooting 74-74-74 and thinking that was good haha!


Well, if I’m playing in this five some I have to have a caddy. I’ve had great caddies in my short lifetime but I think the best guy who would suit my needs would be my other grandpa, Grandy. Grandy passed away during my senior year of high school. I never knew how much I’d miss him because I hadn’t dealt with death much but life without him is not the same. He had a stroke the same time Adam was being born so we never knew him without having his cane and not being able to maneuver around 100%. He was not athletic but worked for the local TV station. I think that’s where I get my love of news media from. Grandy was the most laid back person, lover of flowers, outdoors, and food I’d ever known. He created his own flower and named it after my aunt Cindy. When he was eating lunch he’d ask what was for dinner. That's what Dyes do. I’d always pretend I was singing and performing and my microphone was his cane. He’d always make me button his cuffs because my hands were tiny enough to do so. I would have him on my bag because he would be able to teach me about trees, birds, and flowers on the courses. My dad tries but I find it hard to trust him because he goofs off so much I never know if he’s telling me the truth or not. Grandy would appreciate all the good food I eat on the roads because I always find my way to southern food on my trips. Grandy was a devout Southern Baptist boy so he could always keep things in perspective for me. Grandy didn’t know much about golf and I can promise you he probably didn’t even try to swing a golf club but that doesn't matter. The only downfall of having him on my bag is we’d probably get put on the clock every round because neither one of us are fast people.


Grandy and Gran at his favorite spot, the kitchen table.

I’m not sure how many more opportunities I’m going to have in my life to be able to play with well-known people. When I do have those chances, I appreciate it and remember it forever. However, even though they may be famous it doesn’t compare to the desire I have to play with my dream five some. Nothing can replace the importance I put on my family members. When there are days that I’m not hitting it well, not making any putts, or just down about golf altogether, I have to remember that there are others out there who would give anything to do what I’m doing, and who would do anything to hit a full shot down a fairway. I have to remind myself constantly that I am among the few lucky ones who have the opportunity of a lifetime and to always give it my all. Paw Paw, Tony, and many others motivate me to continue forward and progress in my golf game. I’m sorry if this blog was not as entertaining or crazy as other posts but the subject has been on my heart for some time now and I just want each and everyone of my friends and family members to know how much I appreciate them in my life. I’m very lucky and thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment