Thursday, January 14, 2010

First Tourney of 2010

Well I finally did it.  I had a strong finish and can be proud about how well I scored this week, taking in the considerations of not playing for over a month and for how poorly I hit my irons.  I had quite a few laughs at myself this tournament.  I figured out how I could use my knockdown shot and get it somewhere in the vicinity of the green.  If I wanted to hit a full iron shot, I could expect to hit it fat.  I had good feelings every now and then that I could pull off a pretty iron shot from the fairway but after every time I tried it, I would say, “welp, back to the good ol’ knockdown.”

I didn’t have the start I wanted.  I had a four foot birdie putt on one that I left short and in the heart.  I’m pretty sure I was excited to see that one drop and I looked up as soon as I hit it.  Unfortunately I wasn’t making the move I needed to put the pressure on my playing partners.  I was tapping it for par on every hole on the front nine, hitting 8 greens and sinking a sneaky long one on 9 for birdie.  I made the turn at one under, bogey free, chuckling at my poor effort in iron play but feeling alright about my score.  I had revenge on the par 5 tenth today by knocking a close one up for birdie and capitalizing.  I made my way over to 13, a par 3 that called for a 5 iron. I thinned one up there to 2 feet.  I lipped out the birdie putt. Who does such a thing?  Walk away with par.  Poop!!!!!!!!!  I decided to pull my tee shot into the trees on 15 and had a fun punch 8 iron off of pine needles.  I found the green and proceeded to leave my putt 5 feet short.  Another lip out.  It was my first bogey of the day.  I finished the last three holes by getting up and down on ever one of them.    I was actually 100% on up and downs today.  I can’t say that too often. 

I finished -1 for the round, -1 for the tournament.  It put me in second place alone and made a $1,000 check.  There weren’t many girls in the field but the ones who did play were good players.  I like the way 2010 has started off and I’m anxious for how the season will play out.  I know that a huge part of my success this week was because of my caddy Phil.  I’ve had some good caddies in the past but he did the most work.  While I drove my fat butt around the golf course in a cart, he had to sprint from shot to shot.  The tournament director wouldn’t let him ride in the cart.  It was kind of ridiculous but we had a great time out there and I would hire him in a heart beat if he wanted to give up playing professional golf full time and come be my wingman.  I learned a lot from him this week and it shows that I can score even when I have my C game.



Phil in action




I made him take me to Chipotle on our way to the airport.  It was my first time to ever eat a burrito.  That place is pretty good!  However, I’m not the brightest because I am now on a three-hour flight to Dallas.  The burrito could make things interesting for me….

Welp, I’m heading back to OKC to learn how to solid irons off of dead, thin grass.  Thanks to everyone who has kept up with me this week and cheered me along the way.  It makes things more fun when I know people are rooting for me.  Hope everyone has a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment