Monday, January 25, 2010

I've Made It to the Desert!

Greetings from the desert!

I arrived in Phoenix today for the first time in my life. It was the least stressful travel day I have ever experienced. Every flight was early, my bags arrived, and I was in terminal D at DFW airport, which means I was able to make a pit stop at my favorite candy shop, Natalie’s Candy Bar. I had sour candy and peanut butter crackers for my lunch…nutritious I know. I was on four hours of sleep but couldn’t seem to get comfortable on the plane so I read my three magazines that told me the same stories about what's happened in celebrities lives in the last week.



I had my friends Tara Goedeken and Michaela Cavener pick me up from the airport. They both played for TU but I knew Michaela from playing against her in high school. She's from Ponca City and Tara is from Dodge City, KS. I’m staying with them this week in Tara’s condo. Michaela and I could’ve been bunk bed pals but Tara decided to put the beds on opposite sides of the room. Sad day! I had to wait a little while in the airport for them so I met a nice 70-year-old man from Poteau, OK. I decided to wear an OU hat and jacket on the plane today because it can sometimes strike up conversations with strangers and if I’m bored in the airport, why not shoot the breeze with someone? The Poteau man was telling me stories of Oklahoma high school football in the 1950s while his poor dog sat in this shopping cart looking thing. Thankfully my ride showed up.

We went straight to practice at the Legacy Golf Resort and it was lovely. No wind, sunshine, temperature around 65, and green lush grass! I ran into my friend Kendra Hanson from Iowa State who I haven’t seen in two years. My college roommate/teammate Kelly Jacques is down here as well playing and caddying so I will get to see a lot of familiar faces that I haven’t seen in a long time. After we practiced, we ran to get some groceries for the week and met one of Tara’s high school friends for pizza. He was really nice and took care of our bill! He’s one of my friends now! We might go play with him this weekend at Greyhawk in Scottsdale.


The driving range that I sort of snuck onto today


The pretty putting green

Michaela and I are playing in the Guys and Dolls tournament this coming Wednesday and Thursday at the Duke Golf Club. It is a two-man team event with the first day being played as a modified Chapman and the second day is straight up scramble. I love team events so we are going to have some fun! It’s really supposed to be a guy and a girl on each team but rules also stated it could be two girls on a team. Michaela pointed out to me that we are the only girl-girl team…sooo it could look the wrong way. I told her I will wear pink everyday and maybe even put a bow around my ponytail to prove which team I play for. HA!

I heard there is snow coming to Oklahoma. My mom is supposed to fly out Saturday to come party it up with me in Phoenix so hopefully her flight will be okay. Word on the street is OK City might be getting 6-12 inches of snow! I hope it isn’t so! Well, I will back in soon enough! I am just excited to have Internet connection right now. Tara, Michaela and myself are all sitting close to one wall in the condo stealing Internet from some poor 80-year-old woman named Ruby. No lie. Thanks Ruby! Have a great week everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment