Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Yankey Doodle Yank!

Well, today was bound to happen.  I got out to the range and couldn't seem to hit a solid shot.  I began to think, "maybe I should have practiced after my round yesterday."  Oh well, nothing you can do to change that.  I had to remind myself that some of my best rounds were when I was shanking them on the range beforehand.  We had a 30 minute frost delay so that allowed me to practice my short game for a good while.

My goal today was to hit more greens.  I only hit 10 yesterday and I thought that if I hit a few more today then I'd have more opportunities at birdie.  I started off with another birdie today which was a nice start.  I reached a par 3 and decided to pull hook fat a 5 iron...pretty talented to do all three in one shot but I did.  You don't want to know where I ended up but I walked away with a double.  I was one over at the turn and headed to the par 5 tenth.  I was looking at a 6 foot birdie putt and walked away with a bogey.  Dear Jesus.  I'm pretty sure that was the first time this week that I got a little mad at myself.  I don't care if I've taken off 2 years, I should never do something like that.  I carried on throughout the back nine by hitting some skanky shots.  One birdie was with the most thin 6 iron you have ever heard but it took the perfect bounces and stopped 5-7 feet below the hole.  I laughed at that one and yelled at my playing partners, "don't listen to what I'm doing over here!"  The hole before it I drop kicked my tee shot and the ball found the rough, on the downslope of a fairway bunker.  I proceeded to TOP THE BALL!  It was hilarious.  I think it went about 50-60 yards. I mean, yes, it was a dang difficult shot but if anything I should have rolled something up to the green, not top it!  I'm pretty sure I put my baseball swing on it because it was nasty.  Anywho, makes up for a good story.  The last hole, (the one I doubled yesterday) actually treated me well today.  I told Phil that I had to birdie it when we were standing on the tee.  I'll be honest, I didn't have the most positive thoughts about this hole but I knew that par would be great, birdie would be a gift.  I missed my approach to the left (note to the title of this post, Yankey Doodle Yank...a common theme to my ball flight) but thankfully I left myself with a good looking chip shot.  He told me that if I birdied the hole, I would have to point to the hole and say a few choice words out loud.  Well, I made the chip for birdie and I repeated the words to him but in a very soft voice.  It was pretty funny and a nice way to end the round.  I shot 73 and I can promise you I played terrible.  I have great feelings about this golf course and even about my game so I have a lot of work to do tomorrow.  I'm down by 4 to the leader and down by 1 from second place.  I would like to win this so I'll give it my all.

I head back to OKC after the round tomorrow.  I'll be happy to see the folks and friends again but I'm hoping it has warmed up a bit since I've been gone.  Phil and I saw Up In The Air tonight and I must say,  I can relate to George Clooney in a lot of ways.  His love for travel and his ideas on relationships.  Sad but true.  I recommend this movie to everyone!  People say it's depressing but I found it funny.  What's that say about me?  I hope everyone is having a great week and for those heading back to school, I don't envy you one bit :)

No comments:

Post a Comment