Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Best Caddie in the World

I feel like I should tell people my secret. It’s been on my mind lately, as a lot of things have, and I think everyone would benefit from hearing it:

September was the month of LPGA Q School. Very strenuous, very long, very tiring. California’s sectional did not treat me well and so I was shipped off to Florida for a second chance. I had a rough first round but knew that if I kept going, and kept up the good attitude, things were going to turn around, they would have to.

I was told before I left for California that my destiny was already set. I wouldn’t be able to change it, and to just enjoy the ride as it came. I believed the man who told me that because he is a man of faith and has also been successful on Tour for years and years and knows what he’s talking about. He also told me that no particular golf shot was life or death, which comforted me in knowing that no single shot had greater importance than another.

When I arrived in Florida and met my caddie, I knew that something wasn’t right so I decided to play the whole week on my own, or so people thought. I knew that this would be my last shot for an entire year and I didn’t want to have any distractions or excuses. When people saw me playing that week, they only saw me hitting the shots and only me driving the cart. Little did they know that I had the best caddie in the entire field that week. Some can call me crazy but God was with me every step of the way. I know that my good shots are because of Him and my bad shots are because of Him. When I put my ball in jail, I truly believe that God helps me out of there. I’d like to think we are a pretty good tag team. When I put my approach in the water on the 72nd hole, I knew that my chances were slim to none for qualifying for the final stage. I was so grateful for being in that tight situation, for playing tough for 4 straight days and I knew that God was teaching me a lesson for my future. As the time passed and I saw my name jump up into the top 30, I thought, “geez that was a wonderful lesson but man, I promise I’m a fast learner and can take it with me to the Final Stage for this year!” Sure enough, I made it and my destiny was written in a dramatic fashion.

“I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.”
2 Timothy 4:7

You know, when I was watching the OU-Texas game the other day, most would say that Colt McCoy struggled in the first half. I saw that after a 3rd and out he was running off the field and he pointed to the sky. I knew right then what he was thinking. No matter the situation, praise God, stay patient and things will turn out alright. Things turned out alright for Colt and the Longhorns but I just thought that was an awesome sight to see when he could have been down in the dumps. No matter what you are doing, stay tough, stay positive, and give God your absolute best.

I have one more story that’s been on my mind that people may or may not believe but I’d like to share it:

My good friend just lost his dad in a car accident. I was in California when it happened and when the funeral occurred. I knew his dad and what a fun guy he was so I knew that my friend had been hurting. I spend a lot of time at my club with him and so last week we decided to play 18 holes together. He hadn’t played in a few weeks due to the recent events so I figured it would be good for him to get out and play. Right off the bat he started off strong and found himself a couple under par at the turn. Every time he made a birdie or made a great shot, I thought of his dad. I’m really not sure if he thought the same thing but it just made me sad to think that if he wanted to call his dad after the round to say he shot in the 60s, he wouldn’t be able to. It broke my heart because I report to my family after almost every round, especially if it was a good one. On the other hand, it made me smile every time he made a great shot or a birdie because I knew that his dad was able to see every single swing. On one tee shot, his ball was heading straight for the creek and he got a little upset but I told him, “Hey you never know, you might’ve gotten lucky!” Sure enough, we drove down there, the ball was sitting pretty and he goes on to make par. He got a lot of breaks that round and made a lot of good shots as well. He’s a talented golfer but I just can’t help in thinking that his dad was on the bag for that round and I’m pretty sure he will be on there for a long, long time.

(He shot in the 60s if you were wondering.)

1 comment: