Saturday, October 3, 2009

Halle...Lu...Yuh!

When most people think of Q School they think of the horror stories of missed tap ins on the 72nd hole, they think of going into the water or out of bounds late in the tournament, or they think of missing the cut by just a shot. Believe me, I'm well aware of those stories without having to read the books that have been written. I walked off the 18th green yesterday thinking I was a victim of that awful recurring story.

I was in the first group off for the final round and began with a bogey. Something that I haven't done in quite some time. I recovered with a birdie on the par 5 fourth but followed that up my putting my approach on five into the water for a double. I knew that I had plenty of golf left so I didn't press. I made another long bomb on the ninth for a birdie to go one over at the turn. I can promise you this, I don't remember the last time I hit my irons so poorly. I don't know what was up with me this week but they were nasty nasty. I am pretty sure I hit the ball better as a middle schooler than I did the past few days. I had a really dumb bogey on 11 but came back with a great birdie on 14. I was trying not to get ahead of myself but by being one over with four holes to play, I thought one more birdie would be a great round and give me a good chance to make the cut. I felt like the entire day was a struggle and to be able to score around par would show that it doesn't matter how I'm hitting it, I can find the hole other sorts of ways. I had birdie putts on 15, 16, and 17 but failed to make them so I went into 18 wanting to hit driver but decided to go with the three wood since I had only used my driver twice on the back side. The driver worked well for me all week but for some reason, I used the three wood. No regrets I thought....

I aimed out the right side of the fairway, relying on the big ol' draw I had going this week but it didn't come back to the left so it stayed in the right rough. I get down to my ball and it's sitting down in a crap lie. I have about 162 to the flag with all water to carry and wind that was not in my favor. There is fairway over to the left that goes all the way to the green but I gave that option about 3 seconds and then went back to deciding what club I was going to hit. As soon as I hit the 5 iron I reacted negatively by seeing that ball come out low and short and I did not want to see it splash. I went down to the water, dropped another, hit a 9 iron up and over and two putted for double. The life and energy was completely out of me as I walked off the green. I shook my head and could not believe what a bone head mistake I had just done. That is what a caddie is for, but I should be more experienced to know that I should hit over to the left side, rely on my up and down game and worst case scenario take a bogey and go tally up the scores. But instead I went for it and shot 75. One of the worst decisions I have made in my golf life. I will promise you all that I will never do something like that again.


I think Jesus was shining on me here for the birdie putt


Sitting here in shock, not believing what I just did on 18.

My parents and I left the course and I was planning on going to pack up and head to Miami for the weekend but instead we went to grab some lunch and watched the leader board on our phones. At first my name was one shot below the cut line and I figured that would be a great lesson learned for myself. But as we finished lunch, I jumped ahead of the cut line so I looked at it and tried to figure out how I could be bumped back down below the cut line but it was looking like there was no way that I could be dropped. So we went to our condo, packed up, and headed back to the clubhouse and watched as the news became official. I had made the cut by one! I was so drained that I didn't really celebrate, more relieved than anything. We had a mandatory meeting to discuss the final stage tournament in December held in Daytona Beach, FL. I'm so thankful that there is another day and something to look forward to through the fall.


Izzy B and I representing the Sooner Golfers at Q School

My parents and I drove through Alligator Alley and made it to Ft. Lauderdale. We moseyed on over to Hollywood Beach and walked the boardwalk and found an open air restaurant to eat a late dinner. There are some crazy lookin' people in Miami and it makes you feel kinda normal ha! I went to bed before 11 and never heard my dad snore and never heard the train outside my window go "choo choo!" I think I was a little tired.

We are up and ready to go to Miami Beach, maybe take a little visit to Dash to see if the Kardashian sisters are in town. It's going to take a while to get to Land Shark Stadium tonight because of the traffic so we will head over there pretty early. Say a prayer for my Sooners, my road record is not very good so if we come out on the short end then I promise not to go to another road game this year, especially not the Big 12 Championship because I'll be in Daytona Beach! Thank the good good Lord!!

No comments:

Post a Comment